Tips For Building A Home Bar Cabinet
A home bar is a great way to cut back, relax and enjoy your favorite drinks after a long day at work. We want to ensure that your home speakeasy is easy to live with. Here are important tips for building a home bar cabinet that looks great and functions perfectly.
Choose the Right Cabinet Material
When it comes to choosing the right cabinet material, there are a few things to keep in mind. First, think about what you want your bar cabinet to look like. Some materials, like wood, are natural and can give your bar a rustic feel. Others, like metal, can be more modern and sleek.
Second, think about what you will be using your bar cabinet for. How much storage will you need? Are you going to be using it as a liquor cabinet, or for wine glasses? If you only plan on using it to place a counter on top for drinks and nothing else, then a wooden cabinet might be the best option for you. However, if you plan on using it for wine bottle storage, hiding your stemware, or storing other items as well (like games or DVDs), then metal might be a better choice because it can be more durable.
Finally, consider how much money you want to spend on your home bar storage spaces, and cabinets and what style you are looking for. (Side note, we have design services if you don’t know where to start…) Below are some of the most common options we see often.
- Wood – There is nothing like the look and feel of a well-crafted wood bar cabinet. If you are looking for a traditional look, choose a cabinet made from wood that is finished in a natural or distressed finish. If you prefer a more modern look, choose a cabinet made from sleek and modern wood veneers.
- Glass – If you love the look of glass bar cabinets, there is no better choice than to go with one that is made from shatter-resistant glass. Not only does this type of cabinet look beautiful, but it also offers protection from breakage should something fall on it.
- Metal – If you are looking for an industrial-inspired bar cabinet, metal is a perfect choice! Plus it makes some pretty cool wall decor.
- Wood & Metal – If you want the best of both worlds, choose a cabinet made from wood and metal. This type of cabinet is often very durable and can withstand a lot of wear and tear.
- Mirror – If you want to add an element of glamour to your home bar, choose a mirror! Mirrors offer a touch of luxury that can really make your bar stand out.
- Laminate – If you are on a budget, consider choosing a cabinet made from laminate wood. This type of wood is often very affordable and easy to care for.
- Wrought Iron – If you are looking for an old-fashioned look, choose a cabinet made from wrought iron! Wrought iron is often very durable and can withstand a lot of wear and tear.
Make Sure Your Bar Parts Are Installed Properly
Nothing can ruin your cocktail dreams faster than a stuck door or broken drawer. Or maybe even a broken wine glass or two with the majority of your wine cabinet sprawled onto the floor. Most people would cry if they came home to a collapsed wine rack. Below are some tips about pieces to keep up on to ensure your bar is patron friendly all the time!
Install the Doors Properly
One of the most important things you can do to make your home bar cabinet look great and function perfectly is to install the doors properly. Make sure they are tight-fitting and fit well in the opening. Also, make sure that the door hinges are tight so that they don’t move and create a rattling sound.
Check for any obstructions that may be interfering with the door’s motion. For example, if there is a cabinet below your bar, make sure that there is enough clearance so that the doors can move freely. Nothing worse than building in storage space and then not being able to get to it.
Install the Shelves Properly
Another important step in making your home bar cabinet look great and function perfectly is to install the shelves properly. Make sure that each shelf is level and spaced evenly. This will ensure that they don’t move and fall off during use and we don’t want to see your liquor bottles on the floor now do we!?
Use the Right Hardware
When it comes to building a home bar cabinet, it’s important to use the right hardware. Not only will this look great, but it will also function perfectly. For example, use hinges that are sturdy and don’t rattle. And make sure that the screws that are used to attach the shelves and doors are of the right size and strength.
Speaking of hardware, make sure you get your new bar an awesome bottle opener. You can install it on the cabinet or hide it in a drawer, but it’s a must!
One of the most important things you can do to keep your home bar cabinet looking great is to clean it regularly. This will remove any dust, dirt, or debris that may have built up over time. And it will also keep your glasses and bottles looking shiny and new!
The same goes for the bar furniture and home decor you decide to put in your space. No one wants to sit on a dusty bar stool!
Add LED Lighting as Needed
Adding LED lighting can be a great way to add a bit of personality to your home bar cabinets. Not only will you be able to change the look of your bar area quickly and easily, but you’ll also be able to make sure that your drinks are always properly lit and looking their best. An illuminated wine rack can be a real attention grabber!
If you’re going to build a bar, then you might as well make the space look good for “the gram” (Instagram)!
If you are building space for a bar cabinet for your man cave, or your home bar, you need three things: the right materials, the right design, and the right measurements. Finding the right materials can be tough, but that’s where Metropolitan Cabinets & Countertops come in! We’ll ensure your designs are sound, the look is stunning, and the bar is built right! Build something with us today so that you can enjoy your bar cabinet for years to come.