When investing in stone countertops, it’s important to help them last and look great for years to come. Stone is a natural product and therefore has unique characteristics which may result in color, pattern and texture variations. Follow these tips and tricks for cleaning stone countertops to make your investment last.
When cleaning your stone countertops, DO the following:
1. Clean up spills immediately by blotting with a paper towel
2. Clean countertops using a quality stone cleaner or wet sponge with mild dishwashing detergent
3. Use coasters and trivets
And there are things to avoid in order to protect your investment, so DO NOT do the following:
1. Use harsh chemicals on the countertop such as Ajax or bleach
2. Sit or stand on your countertops
3. Place very hot items directly on surface, (use trivets)
4. Cut directly on the surface, use cutting boards
5. Use acids close to marble surfaces as they will etch the material (remove the polish)
There are also daily steps you can take to maintain the surfaces:
1. Use of a wet sponge or paper towel is sufficient to keep your countertops clean and tidy throughout the day
2. A quick spray and wipe at the end of the day of the most heavily used areas with a stone cleaner will adequately clean, disinfect and protect your countertops
Periodically, you should also:
1. Use a stone cleaner over the entire surface. Stone polish can also be used to add just a bit of extra shine for maximum beauty.
2. Reseal if needed. To test your sealer, place a few drops of water onto the stones surface and wait for it to bead up. If the water does not bead on the surface, then re-apply your sealer.